Washington, DC: The UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention finds Muhannad Al-Hassani’s imprisonment in violation of international law. Mr. Al-Hassani was released from prison as part of a general amnesty by the Syrian government on June 2, 2011. The Syrian government targeted Mr. Al-Hassani for his defense of democracy activists and political prisoners and his criticism of Syria’s Supreme State Security Court (SSSC).
- Saudi Arabia: Loujain Alhathloul Awarded Council of Europe’s 2020 Václav Havel Human Rights Prize April 19, 2021
- Iran: UN Declares Detention of Christian Pastor Youcef Nadarkhani to be a Violation of International Law February 22, 2021
- Jailed Professor G.N. Saibaba’s Life at Risk after Testing Positive for COVID-19 February 19, 2021
- Kazakhstan: Freedom Now and McKool Smith File UN Petition on behalf of Activist Alnur Ilyashev February 16, 2021
- Saudi Arabia: Women’s Rights Activist Loujain Alhathloul Released from Prison February 10, 2021