Washington, DC: The UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention finds Muhannad Al-Hassani’s imprisonment in violation of international law. Mr. Al-Hassani was released from prison as part of a general amnesty by the Syrian government on June 2, 2011. The Syrian government targeted Mr. Al-Hassani for his defense of democracy activists and political prisoners and his criticism of Syria’s Supreme State Security Court (SSSC).
- Kazakhstan: Freedom Now Condemns Sentencing of Labor Activist Erzhan Elshibayev September 29, 2022
- Azerbaijan: Freedom Now Condemns Detention of Lawyer Elchin Sadigov and Journalist Avaz Zeynalli September 15, 2022
- Kazakhstan Should Comply with UN Decision and Quash Activist’s Conviction September 13, 2022
- Afghanistan: Dispatch from the Taliban’s War on Women September 6, 2022
- Saudi Arabia: Authorities Must Release Women’s Rights Activist Salma al-Shehab August 29, 2022