Washington, DC: The UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention finds Muhannad Al-Hassani’s imprisonment in violation of international law. Mr. Al-Hassani was released from prison as part of a general amnesty by the Syrian government on June 2, 2011. The Syrian government targeted Mr. Al-Hassani for his defense of democracy activists and political prisoners and his criticism of Syria’s Supreme State Security Court (SSSC).
- Kazakhstan: Freedom Now Condemns Treatment of Imprisoned Labor Activist July 9, 2021
- All Style and No Substance? Uzbekistan’s Rebranding is Hollow without Human Rights July 2, 2021
- India: UN Declares Detention of Human Rights Activist GN Saibaba to be a Violation of International Law June 17, 2021
- Designations of “Undesirable Organizations” by Russia Must End June 4, 2021
- Kazakhstan: UN Declares Detention of Labor Activist Erzhan Elshibayev to be a Violation of International Law June 2, 2021